Volunteers are at the heart of all of our activities. Without them, we couldn’t provide the range and scope of services we do. That’s why we value the time, commitment and talents which each volunteer brings to our services.
As a BACP accredited, busy and successful mental health organisation, we aim to offer high quality placements for our volunteers. In return, volunteers help Listening Ear to fulfil its vision of delivering more free support services, to more people in need, in more places. Many have since chosen to join us as paid members of staff when suitable vacancies have arisen.
Currently, we have 23 volunteers who between them provide an incredible 250 hours of support to people in need each month. It all adds up to a significant benefit not only to those who use Listening Ear’s services, but also to our staff, the local community and to the volunteers themselves.
We are currently looking for volunteers to deliver a minimum of 3 counselling/volunteering hours per week in the following areas:
- Associate Counsellors (qualified adult counselling volunteers) to be located in Kirkby, Knowsley
- Associate Counsellors (qualified CBT therapists) looking for experience of providing Occupational Health Counselling
- Associate Counsellors experienced in working therapeutically with children and young people
- Placement Counsellors (students studying Level 3 Diploma minimum) looking to support delivery of children and young people’s group therapy in either Wirral or Whiston (working alongside a qualified CYP counsellor)
- Placement Counsellors (students studying Level 3 Diploma minimum) looking to support delivery of adult counselling in either Halewood or Whiston
- Administrators in a range of disciplines: Receptionists, Administrators, Press & Marketing Specialists and Data Analysts
Application process and timeline
The process for volunteering applications is as follows:
- Potential volunteers submit a completed application form
- Our service manager and team leader scores the form against our criteria
- We arrange an interview with the service manager and team leader
There is no specific timeline for receipt of applications for Associate Counsellors, or for administrative volunteers. Applications are reviewed during the month they are received.
For Counselling Placements (students), the next deadlines for applications are:
- 13th January 2020, 12 noon
- 16th June 2020, 12 noon
Apply by downloading the form here, completing it and returning it to us. Please state clearly which volunteering opportunity that you are interested in applying for. If you have any queries, please get in touch and we’ll do our best to help.
If your application is successful following interview, having a current DBS really helps. If you don’t have a current DBS this isn’t a problem – we will apply for one on your behalf – but please be aware that it can take as long as a couple of months to come through.
All volunteers are required to attend annual mandatory safeguarding and child protection training and a whole team development day.
Please note, we have a separate application process to become a Trustee of Listening Ear. Please click here for more information about Trustee roles.
We look forward to receiving your application!
- "Volunteering gives me a chance to develop my own counselling skills while giving something back to the community"
- "I volunteer to give people access to free counselling who otherwise wouldn't get the help they need"
- "I'm volunteering to support a valuable free service and be a part of a reputable, professional and caring team"
In 2018/19 16 volunteers delivered 582 hours of free counselling for community members in need of mental health support.
4 volunteers have gone onto secure regular paid work within Listening Ear, 1 has secured a full-time position in the NHS and another is now a self-employed therapist.